My black labels arrived today so I was able to cut some new window frames. A quick power adjustment and I cut clean through the black leaving the backing untouched. I held the curvy labels flat using magnets on the honeycomb bed (see pics after the cut) (svg here)
The way round the corner problem is to cut into the piece so that the bottoms of each notch can sit flush with each other, in this configuration though the divots are visible when the final piece is assembled.
This join demonstrates the problem of CNC mills. The tool has a curve radius so it can't get right into the corners, so when you try to create that previous joint the two halves can't sit flush together.
Following on from the previous attempt to cut a model window for DovedaleModels I wondered if it would be possible to make the window frames by cutting them out of sticky labels. The goal is to cut the sticky part but not the coating underneath. With a bit of tweaking it was actually surprisingly easy. This is probably the only good thing about a manual power dial, you can adjust the power, and therefore cut depth, while the item is still cutting. A simple scalpel blade under one edge and the whole window frame lifted clean out of the label. Apologies for using a customs label but it was the only label I could find tonight big enough to cut this from.
These upcoming joinery items are taken from an article on the net, 10 points for guessing where. I'll like to it later in the series when I've had time to modify all the images appropriately.
To start though it's the simplest form of join, equal size slots cut in both sides of the material and the width of the material. The two pieces slide together to form a snug joint.
A non laser item now. A friend asked me to make some rams horns for a costume she's making. They've been a long time in development but now that I've finally got some 'skin' on the wire frame it's taken it to a whole new level. Need to find more time to get the other half done though.
On my most recent trip to Nottinghack I cut and installed a big wheel to go under their laser cutter. They had been making do with the original design with just the wavy edge (not a lot to grip onto), which was cut onto a sheet too small and had a flat spot and was loosely held in by normal nuts so kept slipping. Hopefully they'll appreciate this one when they realise how much easier it is to do it this way.
I shortened the drawstring on my roller blind but I couldn't get the two ends to fix together again (none of my glue or melting techniques seemed to work) so in the end I laser cut a solution, these end stops stop the draw sting from pulling all the way through and also indicate which direction the blind will go in when pulled (although that is more obvious as one end always much higher than the other)
Eli's grandparents gave him a sand pit for his birthday (yesterday). I had a bit of time in advance to put together a toy to go in it. This is a classic type sand wheel, sand gets poured into the funnel at the top, drops out the hole onto the wheel making it turn. I'm quite surprised to discover that this assembled correctly first time. It was drawn as a combination of 3D modelling and converted to flat plans using Inkscape. Add in a dose of common sense and it all fitted together nicely and it actually works with sand in it. (svg here)
Eli adores Simons Cat, he asks for us to show the video all the time. I blame Grandad for letting him watch it but I digress. As a last minute thought before Elis birthday, I realised I could make some custom wrapping paper for him. The man in the post office gave me one of his inkpads and I lasered some cat stamps later that evening.