Project #7: Lego Lack Coffee Table


I hadn't intended to do another coffee table for some time but we had Lego spread all over the coffee table and I was getting bored of rummaging around the bottom of deep storage boxes so I decided we needed some real Lego storage and lots of shallow trays to make it easier to find the parts. There was also a convenient gap under my Escher coffee table so I figured I would base it around another Lack coffee table. If you're interested in making your own version of this table I've now attached the cut file. (svg here)


The table consist of six trays that slide neatly between the legs of the Lack. The top four trays have six sections, the fifth tray has four sections for slightly larger parts like long beams and the bottom tray is twice as deep with four sections so that assembled models can be stored. Each tray is lasercut from 3mm mdf and faced with 6mm poplar plywood. The rack is made from 6mm mdf which has proven to be strong enough to be leaned on by small children. The sides of the lack were turned into extra storage for really big base plates and instructions, the sides are hinged at the bottom and held shut with magnets at the top.


We started to fill the trays up with Lego and we realised just how much Eli has already, once I get my Lego into the mix I think we might need a second storage system. At least I have a happy customer for the time being.


Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Puzzle Box

Wiring the Ruida Controller

Laser Cut Cryptex