My main goal for the day was to transpose all of the contents of my garage workshop into the Luton van I have hired for the purpose of moving house. The big day is tomorrow but given that it's taken me all day to load this thing myself I'm pleased that I decided to do it on my own and focus on just moving the house tomorrow. The day has been long and tiring but mostly successful, the only thing I couldn't manage to get into the van was the second laser cutter. This may cause some minor issues for me but I'm hoping the real removals people can find some space for it. We move from Countesthorpe to Kettering tomorrow and I've allocated myself just one evening to unpack it all into the new workshop, fun times.
Showing posts from March 26, 2023
- Other Apps
One of the cool things about the recent discovery of an aperiodic monotile, is that it's not just one tile. In fact it's a whole range of tiles, subtly different to each other. The two main shapes that have been taken from this are the 'Hat' as cut yesterday and the 'Turtle which I've cut today. I guess these two shapes have been adopted because they're easily made up from standard kites. Again I cut these in sheets with the grain in the same direction and used the gaps between the shapes to make kites ( svg here )
- Other Apps
The discovery of a solution to the Einstein Problem has caused a bit of a stir in the mathematical world this week. It's a shape that tiles the plane, but never repeats and while I don't entirely understand the implications or the mathematical proof of such a thing, I know a good looking tessellation when I see one so I set about making up a few. The first tile is known as the 'Hat' (although I think it looks much more like a T-shirt). The tile is made up from a number of different kite shapes so I also cut a few of those out as well. The full shapes are roughly 80mm across and 60mm wide and I cut them in three different flavours of wood veneered MDF, pine, beech and cherry (left overs from the Loki box ) I redrew my own sheet for cutting to ensure that all of the wood grains on all of the pieces align in the same direction and this is what gave me kites to fill in the gaps ( svg here )