This little container for SD cards has a sliding lid with latching detents to hold it in place. It's a nice little idea and I had seen someone with one at a maker faire before. MDF is a fairly nasty material for these things as soon as I push the lid into place the detents actually tore slightly (the bottom photo shows the weak points). The case I saw at the faire was actually one of these remix cases made in acrylic which is a better material and the detents are about 50% longer. Because the originals aren't shared in the svg file format I took the liberty of extending the detents in my copy of the file. (svg here)
365 laser cut items in 365 days. I provide the files so you can make your own copies and if you don't have access to a laser then I sell most items too.
Missing an svg file for an item? Have a suggestion for something? firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuesday, 24 May 2016
I was looking for inspiration when I stumbled across this U-Box from Stanford Graduate School of Education. It's an interesting project with some great features, I didn't calibrate things correctly so my box is a little wobbly and loose, the assembly clips are definitely clever. The files are shared in multiple formats on their site but as ever... (svg here)
The lid rotates round 270 degrees on these large disks, the lids can fold down flat against the side of the box which is a very neat feature.
An extra shim of material is affixed to the underside of the lid so that it fills the gap when the lid is closed. In the closed position the lid clips into place with a slight friction fit.
Here is one of the assembly clips, it springs into place once into the gap and a second spring on the top pulls it out of the gap so it pulls tight.
Monday, 23 May 2016
The final challenge for the dice tower was to make the baffles stay in the tower when picked up and to make them extend into the new catchment tray. The solution came in the form of a living hinge, a small flexible section at the bottom of the baffles that could slide out into the tray. Small lips on either side stop the baffles from falling out of the tower, but are small enough that the tower can still fold flat. I'm sure there are many things that could be improved upon so please let me know if you build one or make any changes (svg here)
Sunday, 22 May 2016
More excessive use of pin hinges allowed me to create a collapsible tower. The previous designs spewed dice all over the table which was a bit irritating so this one had a catchment tray to stop the dice. Some of the pin hinges are 'L' shaped which allows the second layer to fold over on top of the first one. This first collapsible tower exhibited a few fundamental flaws. With no base to the tower there was nothing to stop the baffles falling out the bottom when it was moved. Also with the new catchment tray there is nothing to stop the baffles from sliding out of the front of the tower either. I made one last revision to solve these issues and tomorrow I'll share the files (thanks for being patient)
I was asked to make a stencil for a group called the Wardens in the Lorien Trust, I pointed out that the design had lots of islands and wouldn't make a very good stencil but as they wanted to paint them onto their shields I noted that I could laser cut the foam instead so here we have laser cut foam symbols to go onto shields (in two different sizes so they can see which works best)
Saturday, 21 May 2016
After posting my dice tower prototype to my geeky gaming friends on Facebook I was asked to make a DM screen. The idea fit well into the existing tower design, I could make a double tower, one pointing in and one pointing out, and separate them with the actual screens. Once the screens and baffles are removed they can all fold up neatly and be placed inside the tower. This design makes copious use of the pin hinge and is way too time consuming to be put into production, it needs a new hinge type integrated into the design
Friday, 20 May 2016
I knew I could get the baffling to be a lot flatter, in theory the thinnest it could be is the same as the material thickness. I replaced the hinges with some of these pin hinges that I've used previously. These were a bit of a faff to build but very effective at slimming the design down. These baffles fit the test tower perfectly and we very easy to remove.
Thursday, 19 May 2016
Way back in July I was trying to make a dice tower, there are a lot of laser cut dice towers available online and they all suffer from issues in one way or another. A lot of them use friction fits which will eventually wear down, some use expensive magnets and still take a while to set up so I started looking at my own design.
A dice tower is just a box that could potentially fold flat, the only thing that stops it folding like a regular box are the baffles that the dice fall down. I built a basic box tower but made my baffles removable. When inside the box the baffles push against the sides of the box and holds the whole thing rigid. When removed the baffles fold flat alongside the box.
As a concept it worked fairly well except the baffles didn't fold particularly flat which is why I carried on developing the idea rather than blogging it at the time.
Ruth drew me an amazing piece of art to go on the top of my vale box, vale happened at the weekend so now I feel like I can show it off to you guys. It's done with traditional pyromancy rather than lasered but it's lovely, exactly what I wanted for the box.
Tuesday, 17 May 2016
This is the cake that the flux capacitor ended up in, it takes elements from lots of scifi series and shows. There are lots more pictures over on facebook. Halfway down the cake you'll notice some coloured pillars between the layers, we realised that we could turn the transparent cake frame into mini lightsabers so I illuminated them with neopixels and made them turn on/off over time.