Monday, 17 July 2017

Door strip



The strip between the wooden floor in the lounge and the tiled floor in the kitchen died, largely through old age and bad installation from the previous owners. When I tried to replace it I realised the problem of finding exactly the right profile for the gap. The closest thing I found took 3 days to arrive, cost a fortune and was totally wrong when it finally arrived. 
Stacking up a zillion pieces of 6mm laser ply is never fun but I actually whizzed through it in an hour because I squared them up against an angled piece of aluminium I had lying around. The whole thing was skinned with flexible 0.8mm Birch ply. In one evening I have exactly the right piece required to span the gap, nearly 2 months later it's holding up really well (a little grubby because I forgot to varnish it). I just need to lift it again now and finish it off properly.