Magazine File

The new magazine file design

I've made a few of these magazine files before but they're getting well used, plus my kids are still subscribing to 'The Phoenix' comic so there are more and more comics lying around in piles so I figured it was time to revamp the design a little bit and make some more for storage. 
Damage to the original box file caused by use

You can see in this image how the kids have been taking the files on/off the shelves. This has resulted in them snapping the front panel in halve. I imagine overloading the file also caused the sides to push apart breaking the glue joint. The new version strengthens the front and back panel by making them overlap the side panels instead of just being glued on. Now all of the tabs pull through into the side panels rather than pull away from them. The base panel has a similar joint to stop the base from falling out. 
Side panel joints are strengthened by overlapping material

The two sides of this file tessellate perfectly along the top curve to make cutting fast but this means that you end up with two left hand sides after cutting this file. Because of this it makes sense to cut two sets at the same time, a left handed and a right handed mirror image, you can then swap the sides over to make two complete magazine files.

All of the joints have been made to push together snugly instead of needing glue. I've done some development on a new joint to enable snugly fitting tabs. I intend to blog about this at some point soon but each test like this gets me one step closer.

A left handed version, note the panel on the right is upside down

Popular posts from this blog

Wiring the Ruida Controller

Rainbow Puzzle Box

Leetro to Ruida Settings