Project #36 Iron Man Wood Veneers


I've wanted to do some more veneer work for quite a while now and I had the idea to make a nice Iron Man using the different colours of the wood and grains. For added bonus points I made a hole for the eyes, filled them with polymorph plastic and connected up some LED's to flicker behind them. (svg here)
36 Projects/ 45 Weeks

This article has been featured on Top Reveal alongside a dozen other amazing woodworking projects, why not check it out? 


The build is very simple. I'm using a minimus v1 board to directly drive the LED's (I bought 20 at £2.50 each so good to get some use from them). Some of the guys at Nottinghack figured out how to program the boards using the arduino environment and to transfer the compiled files down to the mimimus board. Spencer has written up the information here. I practically copied the code from an instructable, but adjusted the values in the array to be more suitable for me and fixed it so that it only loops once at startup. Yes it's all a bit of a lazy hack but it works and that's the most important thing right? The arduino is overkill for blinken leds but at least it was fast to do. The result is an great little homage to Iron Man, sanded and oiled it has come up really nicely.




Popular posts from this blog

Wiring the Ruida Controller

Rainbow Puzzle Box

Laser Cut Cryptex