A long time ago I was asked for a large batch of kotch snowflakes, it was mostly forgotten about until this week when the order actually came through. Amusing that it coincides with the large amount of snow we've been getting this week.
Duncan asked for a respin on the knife boxes with some slightly different dimensions more suited to his knives, at the same time he wanted to try a sliding lid. This design uses 1.5mm birch to form rails down along the top which is much more reliable than engraving slots. Because the rail is only on two sides it can be made with just the tiniest slither of 1.5mm, which is twice as expensive as the 3mm. It also only adds a small amount to the overall height so it's a nice compromise. I laser cut some cardboard inserts to go into the boxes to hold the knives in place. Duncan sent me the handle shape so I'm not sure how he worked it out but it's easy to see why a laser would be good at consistently cutting a curve like that. I also revamped the originally flappy lid design with the new dimensions, it's a slightly better design for this purpose so this is still the one we're going with.
Northants Board Game convention is right around the corner and I'm exhibiting this year so I decided I needed a better business card holder to dish out my little business tchotchke. I found a file for a mimic box that I liked and modified it to come up with this little cutie. He's a very happy chappy, just be careful of your fingers when you're taking a card.
Last summer, I had the privilege of creating a puzzle box for Chris Ramsay , the Canadian Magician and Youtube Puzzler (Not the English comedian Chris Ramsey ). Like most projects of this nature I failed to take enough photos, I rushed to complete it in a good time and I didn't even write about it here. Thanks to some very keen collectors, I have an opportunity to rebuild the box this summer. This time around I am going to write about it, documenting the design choices and code that goes into such a creation. I've even found time to list it on my puzzle website should anyone be interesting in purchasing their own copy. https://www.donteatpuzzles.com/nikolai The project was delivered in July 2024 and was filmed almost immediately by Chris and his team. I think it's fair to say that he loved it. Seeing all of my efforts being appreciated in this was is rather magical. I should just take this opportunity to thank everyone who supported me in making this, whether it was playte...